Moving Minutes Challenge
This April you can win PRIZES (click) for:
- Walking your dog
- Scrubbing your bathtub
- Planting your garden
- Playing Frisbee
- Running mile repeats
- Cycling to work
- Dancing 'til dawn
- And much more
To celebrate NATIONAL PUBLIC HEALTH WEEK, April 7-12, PHD is challenging all of northern Idaho to Get on the Move for all of April.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, regular physical activity is one of the most important things you can do for your health. It can help:
- Control your weight
- Reduce your risk of cardiovascular disease
- Reduce your risk for type 2 diabetes and metabolic syndrome
- Reduce your risk of some cancers
- Strengthen your bones and muscles
- Improve your mental health and mood
- Improve your ability to do daily activities and prevent falls, if you're an older adult
- Increase your chances of living longer
Physical activity is moving your body.
The Moving Minutes Challenge:
How many minutes per week are you physically active?
150 or more could win you prizes!
Who can compete in the Moving Minutes Challenge?
The Moving Minutes Challenge is for ALL residents of ALL ages in Boundary, Bonner, Kootenai, Benewah and Shoshone counties.
When does the Moving Minutes Challenge start?
The Challenge starts April 7 and ends May 3.
How does the Challenge work?
- Participate as an individual or with a team--just be sure to make it clear when you register!
- Keep track of how many minutes you're physically active DAILY. Example:
- Meet the goal of at least 150 minutes of physical activity per week and your name goes in a weekly prize drawing
- Encourage your teammates so your team total on May 3 is astronomical. The team with the highest average activity minutes/person will win an amazing trophy and everyone's awe!
How do I register?
- Moving Minutes Registration - click! It'll take you 30 seconds.
- No computer?! Call 208-415-5153. Leave your name, team name and phone number so we can contact you when you win a prize. If you don't leave contact information, we'll have to give your prizes to someone else.
Where do I report my weekly minutes?
- Moving Minutes Time Report - click! Fill in your time on Sundays in April and on May 3 and hit SUBMIT.
- No computer?! Call 208-415-5153. Leave your name, team name and total weekly minutes.
How do I know if I won a prize?
- Prize winners will be contacted, so be sure to register. They'll also be listed on this page and on the Moving Minutes Challenge Facebook page.
- Find out who northern Idaho's Friends of Health (click) are!
Do I need to be on a team?
- No! Teamwork helps motivation, but if you're self-motivated, be a team of 1. A Moving Minutes Challenge trophy will go to the team with the most minutes per person for the entire month. We'll keep track of minute totals by individuals on a team. Make sure everyone on your team agrees on the SAME team name! A team winner will be announced on Friday, May 9.
- Teams can be any size - you and friends, families, coworkers, neighborhoods, churches, schools, scout troops, senior centers...
- Watch for the special Moving Minutes Final Team Total link in May.
Need a little motivation or companionship or a good activity idea?
- PHD will list activities ongoing throughout the five northern counties on this page and on Facebook.
- Do you have an activity to share? Send it to email@example.com and we'll share it with the public.
Watch for details about the Moving Minutes Challenge launch on Monday, April 7!
Here are some links on healthy living that can teach us all something: